Wednesday, July 9, 2008

. . . to Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Canada

Arrived in Canada through Sault Saint Marie, Michigan, USA/Sault Saint Marie, Ontario, Canada. Les didn’t mouth off to the border guards and we were granted entry. We stopped at a Welcome Center, picked up maps and headed out to Manitoulin Island – pretty countryside.

We crossed a swing bridge on to Manitoulin Island. This bridge is constructed so that it can swing around to allow boats to pass, so on the hour the bridge is closed to vehicular traffic while the boating traffic is allowed access. Cool.

So we are about half way to our destination, maybe 2/3 of the way, we stop at the Welcome Center in Gore Bay, trying to find out where the dump stations are, not having a lot of luck, but not for the want of trying. Anyway, we tootle on down the road and as sometimes happens we have started a parade, so Les slows down and hugs the side of the road and slowed to allow the traffic to go on by. Well, the pickup directly behind us does not pass, but the trailer rig behind him did. After another mile or two, the pickup finally pass us, then slows down, motioning us over. It’s our friends, Beatrice and Joe and their little dog, Tanner! How cool is that? What is the likelihood of meeting up with them on our way to the campsite when they didn’t know what day we were arriving and they were out for a supply trip? They led us to the campsite.

The area is beautiful! We are camped at the Manitoulin Lighthouse Campground on the west side of the island – amazingly, right by the lighthouse. Joe and Beatrice, who have camped here every summer for the past 15 years are worried about the weather being right for us – and I’m chuckling, trying to remember the last time I camped out at the Oregon beach without being rained out!

A couple of days into our visit, Joe and Beatrice’s eldest, their daughter, Hazel, came for a short holiday. She will come out to visit them not only on Manitoulin Island, but has been down to Magnolia Beach as well. We pulled out the “Mexican Trains” domino game and taught them how to play. Of course, Hazel ended up beating us to a pulp! The audacity of the young!

So far Les has caught two fish – one lake trout and the other a salmon. I went out on the boat once… why did I think I could do that? I’m either going to have to fish the shore line or let Les catch my fish for me…. Boats and I just don’t get along!

July 8th – one more day to go here on Manitoulin Island. We have had such a wonderful time. Les has done more fishing in the last two weeks than he can believe. He caught this awesome fish that is now in my freezer… The rest of the fish that “we’ve” caught have been BBQed and eaten. Nummmm (“We’ve” meaning Joe and Les and Beatrice).

I have taken some of the most wonderful flower pictures. The wild flowers here are to die for. I’ve also taken pictures of rocks and trees.

Come on! You know how I like nature. I am NOT cracking up because I’m on some desolate island in a 17 ft trailer with my Les! We have walked the shoreline many times, visited the lighthouse, played countless games of “Mexican Trains” and “Sugar” and drank a few margaritas with our friends. Had a mini “Harry Potter” marathon with Beatrice’s granddaughters, Mary and Sarah. I even got an opportunity to watch the extended version of “Lord of the Rings” – am I in hog heaven, or what?

Tomorrow, we head back to the States. Back to phone coverage and Internet and on to Minnesota where my sister, Melody’s, son, Bobby, I mean, Bob and his lovely wife, Maria, have opened up their driveway to the weary travelers…. And Aunty Joy can hardly wait to get her hands on Cole and Meaghan!

I will be sad to leave the island…. But you know, there’s another trip awaiting us (t)here, next year. That’ll have to do for now…

Take care, All!

Joy

& Les --

Les’s Readers Digest Version
Camped by the Lighthouse on the west end of Manitoulin Island, in Lake Huron.
Met up with Joe and Beatrice
Went fishing, Caught fish, Ate fish. Retirement is good.
Caught several Lake Trout and several Salmon. See picture of the biggest.
End note. I think there are many very special people in the world, and I think God created Joe and Beatrice for the many to look up to.

1 comment:

lynda said...

Love it!!! Can't wait to see you guys!!!xoxoxox